Wednesday, 15 July 2026

Coming Soon, North Star Hussite Wars Knights, Part Two

Yesterdays North Star Miniatures Newsletter came with a couple more "reveals" regarding the up and coming plastic Hussite Wars Knights of Foot sprue and a couple of made up examples.

Examples:

I have blown them up a little as the images were very small indeed. On looking at the made up plastic knights I'm beginning to get the feeling that they're quite chunky and the worry that they might not cross over with the Perry Plastics for maximum variation is beginning to grow. This might not matter so much as long as it's possible to create a large number of unique models from the sprue. 

One other thing that I find a little worrying is the size of the swords. That thing looks very wide indeed! I know i should really wait until the models are in my hands, prepped by my good self, but as expressed in my earlier post HERE I'm more than a little excited by the possibilities for Late Eastern Medieval Warfare with the up and coming range.




Finally an image of the command sprue......


Please let me know what you think..... am I being too hard on the weapon sizes? Am I right to be wary of the chunkiness of the models?

Cheers for now.


8 comments:

  1. Human beings come in all shapes and sizes so personally I can accept the chunky-ness of the figures. I am happy to mix different manufacturers figures because if you have a group of people they will be all different sizes and shapes. I also have to say that I think some of the Perry plastics are a bit thin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course they do, but the smaller the scale the more obvious any size differential; also, in our imaginative world this is amplified due to expectation. 1/1 is pretty forgiving compared to 1/56 or thereabouts. I reckon, that it does make a difference unless cleverly made ubiquitous; this I tried to do with my Anglo Danes, who has a veritable plethora of manufacturers in each unit. https://justaddwater-bedford.blogspot.com/2022/10/anglo-danish-huscarlsfryd-unit-five.html

      Delete
  2. The chunky nature of the weapons may be helpful in preventing them from being broken by some of our clumsier gaming friends?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably, but the Perry Miniatures swords seem to hold up very well and these are quite fine on their plastics. I wonder if plastic manufacturers use different plastics? (I really do not know if that is the case?)

      Delete
  3. Look excellent mais a tad chunky, brought up with Willie, Hinton Hunt and Stadden so I find most figures a wee bit too bulky , but will probably pick up a few. By the way, Perry are becoming more and more correct anatomically so will shock many personally je suis pour as they are taking a risk affronting the clunk brigade, but after all a matter of taste n'est pas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too have been wargaming a very long time but have transitioned to the larger scales with historical miniatures. In fact, I much prefer painting the more modern stuff precisely because of the more detailed sculpts. What irks me though, is larger than life, bordering on fantasy scale weapons (if indeed this is the case as photo's can distort).

      Delete
  4. Even if people are different sizes and shapes and non industrially produced weapons the same - the weapons still remain closer in size and proportions to each other than people do; or so I imagine. Chunky weapons could be an issue especially if you want to mix and match across brands. Can you have North Star knights with Perry [or other] weapons? That sounds fiddly and adds cost.
    At some point you are going to have to either accept the style if it doesn't suit or give up the project and find another. Perhaps Wargames Illustrated will offer a sample so you can decide without a great outlay.
    We will just have to wait and see. If your fears are justified about the weapons and figures, perhaps it's good news for fantasy players wanting something new.
    Stephen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see what you're saying, but, I'm not expecting the proportions to be on a literal human scale- that way each model would look like a very thin architectural model- very wiry etc. I am worried about anything that might have fantastic proportions as this would not fit with any collection I have at all.

      Delete

Please Feel Free to Leave a Comment