So, for me at least, the publication next year of Armies of the Assyrian Empire, 1363-609 BC: Organization, Weapons and Tactics, Gabriele Esposito in his "Armies of" series which include photographs of reenactors and therefore provide oodles of inspiration might just be enough to tilt me towards buying that Wargames Foundry Assyrian army (despite the cost of the chariots!)

Oh, this looks interesting! The pre-pub has not yet shown up on Amazon US.
ReplyDeleteI'm sure it will in time. interestingly, Pen and Sword, the publisher's don't have it listed either so it might be a case of Amazon jumping the gun as they're prone to do.
DeleteNow that looks really interesting indeed.
ReplyDeleteindeed. :)
DeleteWow, I’m astonished that there are Assyrian reenactors! I have an Assyrian DBA army to paint, I should give this a go.
ReplyDeleteAs was I. I cannot wait to see the images in this book as inspiration is a great mover when it comes to painting.
DeleteThanks for letting me know about this. Maybe it will be the inspiration for me uncovering the box of Foundry lead in the basement that was purchased over a couple of Christmas sales years ago
ReplyDeleteWith the price, not so much of the Foundry Assyrian Infantry and Cavalry, but the price of the Assyrian Chariots in mind, I would love to have a store of said chariots sitting in a basement! Colour me very green with envy Richard! Maybe I'll wait until the X-mas sale before I too invest (as long as they don't put their prices up just before the sale!). The Foundry Assyrian range as stood the test of time and is still has the very best designs for ush a range.
DeleteNow that will be something worth seeing! I'm surprised the Angus McBride plates in the Osprey on the Assyrians aren't sufficient inspiration. And, if you need information on the army, you can find lots freely available on the Internet in: The Assyrian Army - The Structure of the Neo-Assyrian Army by Tamás Dezső. Vol.1 - Infantry & Vol.2 - Cavalry and Chariots.
ReplyDeleteThanks Rob. I'd to know where i could get a copy of The Assyrian Army - The Structure of the Neo-Assyrian Army by Tamás Dezső. Vol.1 - Infantry & Vol.2 - Cavalry and Chariots. on the net if possible please? I quite like the Gabriele Esposito books as they show photo's of reenactors which often have a different human dynamic than that of historical artwork. It's an Art Degree thing for me. :>)
ReplyDelete