As you can see there's a world of difference between the grainy conversion work from the previous day and the work that I put in this morning. Like so many things in life it's all down to technique. I got a lot of advice from a very kind and well known chap on the Lead Adventure Forum yesterday and some advice via an e-mail from another well known sculptor the synthesis of which was the work produced today.
I did a little bit of filler in the gaps between the caparison and the legs with Milliput mixed with Greenstuff. This should dry rock hard and can be cut filed so any inconsistencies with what I'm looking for can easily be removed.
I also cut away the caparison near where it joins the saddle as I want the edge to look as if it is below the caparison and it wasn't flush. I'll correct this in the morning when the Milliput/Greenstuff mix is completely dry.
I'll probably also be adding some padded armour in the gap between the horses legs to the front of the model as seen in the second pic above where I have just cut it away.
I find myself very enthused about this project and will certainly be doing a whole army. It will serve both as practice for converting and eventually sculpting and as a project in it's own right.
Bye for now.