Saturday 24 August 2024

Claymore Wargames Show 2024

I received some very bad news shortly after getting to Claymore. The news thankfully came from Jack and not someone more "random" where I learned that my friend and ye olde SESWC compatriot Derek Hodge had suddenly died shortly before the show. Derek was a lot of things to many people (all good!) and always warm to new members of the club, a very good friend to older members and always, I repeat always, a very honest guy. A lovely member of our community now sadly lost but more than anything a solid friend now most grievously lost to us all. Last I saw Derek we spent a good hour or so discussing men's mental health and the state of the University system in the UK! Perhaps the former subject being the most important

I did manage to bump into Jim at the show, Derek's best mate which was a relief as I wanted to make sure he was in as doing as well as could be expected in the awful circumstances. My heart goes out to Derek's family, his loyal mate Jim as well as the rest of SESWC and the Lardy community in Scotland.

I waited approximately four weeks to do this write for the Claymore Show, but unhappily I still cannot find the words to put together a full report. 

I did not manage to capture many images of then games etc due to the shock of the news about Derek. apologies for that. but, in his honour, here is what I did manage to capture.



















2 comments:

  1. Sorry to read about your friend, it seems to be becoming a semi regular occurrence across the various blogs I follow but having just turned 62 myself, I don t suppose it is all that surprising people we know are now in that stage of life....
    Pics from the show look excellent, particularly the huge Star Fort siege and the Border Reivers games.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you RRross. I think you're right; as one of my friends succinctly put it; "more funerals than weddings nowadays". It's heart breaking.

      Delete

Please Feel Free to Leave a Comment