Sunday 19 January 2020

Italian Wars Era from Helion Books

I was very pleased when these two little babies popped through my letterbox today. I have had the privilege of having a 'rough' pdf file of The Italian Wars, The Expedition of Charles VIII into Italy and the Battle of Fornovo a few months ago with a view to writing up a detailed review of the book.

The Great Italian Wars and the conflicts on the periphery have been of great interest to me for some years now but never have I had a book that concentrates on just one campaign complete with heraldry, in depth details of the captains and numbers of men serving under them. The 8 full colour plates are well illustrated and serve as a great painting guide for the battle.

In short an absolute gem of a book which is essential reading for anyone interested in the Italian Wars. If you are, then you really ought to know more of the origins of the war and this book is the best place to start.

I intend to write up a full detailed review of the book soon. I won't be giving away any specific information but will be describing what you can expect to get out of the read from a wargamers perspective.



At some point I will also be reviewing The Army of the Swabian League 1525 as well and in the same manner as the Fornovo book



2 comments:

  1. Unfortunately Amazon couldnt honour my purchase of the Italian Wars book and I am very envious of your purchases. I cant wait to have my own copy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi mate,

      It looks as though it's back in stock at Helion now. Free delivery too.

      https://www.helion.co.uk/series/from-retinue-to-regiment-1435-1618.php?sid=615c7049bf6c3db3db3ffa7bea7d7bee

      Delete

Please Feel Free to Leave a Comment