Thursday 9 December 2021

The City Walls of Dara Battlement and Tower Type Information Request?

I've been combing the net in a determined effort to find some information what types of battlements and towers the City of Dara 530AD would have been surrounded by with a view to making or getting a model for the display game of the  Battle of Dara we have planned for later this year.

So far I have been unable to find any images of what the battlements might have looked like so I thought I would put up a post asking if anyone if they have any ideas on how they would look? Square towers or round? Western European (Late Roman) battlements or more a more Eastern influence?

The Ruins of Dara

As I'm sure you can appreciate, it is hard to discern exactly what the battlements and towers of Dara might have looked like from the ruins that sit in place today.





Early Byzantine Underground Water Cistern.


I did happen upon some images of the Turkish town of  which seems to portray both "square" and "round" towers with Late Roman type battlements but I cannot be sure when they were actually built from the images on then net.

The only thing I have to go on thus far are the famous Walls of Constantinople which were modified over the centuries.

Restored Section of the Theodosian Walls of Constantinople:

2 comments:

  1. Good luck with your project. Hope to see it live very soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bartek. It's still a it of a conundrum but someone on LAF provided me with some very useful diagrams.

      Delete

Please Feel Free to Leave a Comment