Thursday 23 July 2020

Fred Burnaby at El Teb Test Pics

EDIT: Title changed from Aby Klea to El Teb- yesterday was a long day!

I had had the camera out today as I try to work my way around learning how to use it properly and get the best images possible. I had a practise session booked with myself at lunch time so went ahead despite the weather being atrocious, which sadly it has been all week. Not at all ideal conditions for taking photo's as natural light always wins over artificial despite using two daylight lamps.

The mini came free with on of the Perry Miniatures Plastic Mahdist Ansar boxed sets if you buy three  in one go, which did of course did. It's a fantastic model which captures the spirit of Burnaby with his old Victorian prejudices, military zeal and righteousness which accompanied any British military expedition in the latter half of the nineteenth century. I popped a couple of dead Beja Ansar on the base to make it look the part.

Fred Burnaby gained notoriety for a number of reasons, many stunts and the fact that he was finally finished off at Abu Klea in the Sudan as he hastily broke ranks in the square only to be run through in the neck by a Mahdist spear.

He was no hero in the modern sense of the word. But a Victorian hero he was (at least to the literate among the British public).









So, it is now back to speed painting Beja for me.

20 comments:

  1. Pictures look great. When I paint a mini, and think I am done, and take some quality pictures I never fail to find flaws in my work. It's like how did I miss that? Then I have to take (OCD) my mini back to the paint table fix it, and back to the photo booth. Ah well, the sacrifices us hobbyist have to make to get good pictures.

    Cheers
    Kevin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Kevin. The Burnaby pics when blown up are about four times as large as the actual mini. You're right, it's always funny to see your work up close and personal but I just keep reminding myself that the miniatures are actually 28mm to the eye and any small foibles just aren't noticeable. The practice pics are just a run through for a book. i can't really say more on that.

      I popped over to your The Zhodani Commando blog and it's a lot of fun. I loved the modern Afghanistan gane. You now have a new follower :)

      Delete
    2. Why thanks for popping over!

      Your figure by the way is marvelous, and the photos were good I thought as well. It just made me think of my trails and tribulations.

      Cheers
      Kevin

      Delete
    3. Yeah, I realised that you weren't being critical. Nothing wrong with constructive criticism anyway :)

      Delete
  2. Great images and miniatures as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dmitry. More to come. At some point soon.

      Delete
  3. looks fab - and Burnaby died both times in our refights of Abu Klea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Eric. Appreciated. Yeah, Burnaby kind of deserves it lol. He wasn't exactly steady in the ranks on that particular day.

      Do you use any special rules for Burnaby? I'm not sure how I would model his tendency to shoot off and attempt to do the fighting on his own.

      Delete
    2. we played what we call Burnaby's luck. Once per turn, provided he is within 12" of action he can reroll any units dice. However each time he uses this ability he dies on a 6 (d6) - 5+ second time etc. Otherwise he acts as a standard commander

      Delete
    3. Ha-ha, I like it.... "Burnaby's Luck" it will be the next (re:first!) time I get to try out Up the Nile. :)

      Delete
  4. Great looking min and base. Really captures that hero of Empire art style. Just before he is speared to death. HAHAH!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks- speared to death he was too :>)

      Delete
  5. Really captures the 19th century feel that is for sure

    Cheers
    Matt

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Matt. More test shots once the weather clear and I can get into the conservatory and treat myself to some natural diffused light! Oh the joys of living in the north of the UK! lol

      Delete
  6. I love the background in the photo; I realise it probably isn't the Sudan but it works great with the subject.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe is was an Afghan panoramic I printed off years ago. Please don't quote me on that though as it has been with me many years. :>)

      Delete

Please Feel Free to Leave a Comment