Sunday 26 July 2020

Painting Justinian Byzantine Heavy Infantryman Step By Step Part Three

Painting Justinian Byzantine Heavy Infantry Part Three 

The long delayed final part of the painting of these beautifully sculpted, excellently cast and highly detailed miniatures is finally here. If fact, it is partly the level of detail on these fine miniatures that have slowed me down a little.

Before I start, there are another five spearmen, a back rank officer in charge of five archers to be completed before the unit can be revealed in all the spectacle and glory that an elite Justinian or Herclian Byzantine unit could expect. I'm half way through the next rank and the officer as I type. Another reason for the relative slowdown has been another nose dive into depression due to a very close friend going missing coming up to six weeks ago. His disappearance has come as a deep shock to us all and especially his family. My heart is still with you brother.

OK, I've taken pictures of both the command group, sans banner at present and one of each of the spearmen models in order to hopefully pass on an image of how they may look when based up.












8 comments:

  1. They look very sharp and colors rich.

    Cheers
    Kevin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, that's pleasing to hear as they (and another unit like them) will be the cream of the Justinian infantry. In effect, Dismounted Bucellarii.

      Delete
  2. Wow! Can’t find words to express my admiration :) Really great work on these Byzantine infantrymen! Do you plan to make the whole bunch for Justinian’s army?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dmitry. I took my time with these guys. There is so much attention to detail on the sculpts it would almost be sinful not to.

      They are going to form the nucleus of both a Justinian and Heraclian force. I suppose I can add Narses' army to that list too.

      Delete
  3. hello,

    Wahou !!! Superb painting !! I like the various shade of each color !!! Impressed !!

    Nikkobourges

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nikkobourges, only another..... I'm not even going entertain thinking about the number I have to paint up! lol

      Delete
  4. Those look splendid. I especially like the rich colours you have achieved on the cloaks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Midlander65. They're fun but challenging to paint.

      Delete

Please Feel Free to Leave a Comment