Thursday 20 February 2020

Battle of Shrewsbury 1069; Norman Outer Wall I

EDIT: Analogue Hobbies Painting Challenge folks- I've taken stock of my painted miniature collection for the suitability of said collection for Hereford and changed the game to that of the Battle of Shrewsbury 1069.

My Reconquista project has stalled a little as I await some miniatures from the USA which are taking far too long to get to me for my liking as the deadline is Partizan on May 16th! Not that I'm complaining....... OK, maybe a bit but we all want everything yesterday these days :>)

In the meantime I've been working on plan B which is the Battle of Shrewsbury 1069 as I at least have a lot of Normans and some Anglo Saxons painted up from years ago! The battle took place in front of the Norman Motte and Bailey in Shrewsbury as Edric the Wild leading an army of Anglo Danes and Welsh besieged the Norman occupants of the town.

More on the history in a separate post very soon.

I've got various pieces of terrain, which I have painted up in no logical order at all! I've had the pieces for over fifteen years and they have not seen a lick of paint in all that time. Shameful really :>)

The piece below is by Grand Manner and is one section of the Norman Motte and Bailey Outer Wall, which will serve as the town walls of Shrewsbury. Grand Manner is simply the best terrain that money can buy IMHO. No one else comes close for historical resin. Oh, Dave Bodley who runs the company apart from being very nice chap he has a real passion for his subject which shows in both the depth of research and detail.

So, without further ado, a wall section! The bases started out mainly with the hobby paint equivalent of Vallejo Model Colour German Black Grey and were highlighted up with various creams etc to replicate the look of old wood and soil etc. Greens were then added ans were the greys for the rocks as I wanted them to look cold and wet to suit the climate.





I've become a little obsessive about the details such as the shields, crossbows and quivers lying around on the battlements. Given the time I have to prepare the game this is probably a little too much but I cannot seem to help myself!

Details:


7 comments:

  1. looks good !. It's the small details that makes it come alive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Henrik. Part of me wished that I didn't notice such details and could skip over them as. All down to time lol

      Delete
  2. Very nice, looking forward to seeing this project take wings

    ReplyDelete

Please Feel Free to Leave a Comment