Monday 10 February 2020

Haggis Rampant: Fierce Foot Unit I (Taken from La Journee Blog)

When re-sizing the pictures I noticed that the lighting had left quite a few of the miniatures looking a little satin in finish. This is not the case as they are fully matted down with Windsor and New ton Professional Matt Spray. I usually leave 24 hours between gloss varnish (for protection) and matt. Just to make sure that the layers are all completely dry. I also wait 24 hours after painting before I gloss them to let the Acrylic paint dry properly. If you varnish too soon any moisture residue in the paint will lead top the paint coming loose and 'chipping' on the models at a later date,

In Lion Rampant a Fierce Foot unit is more akin to an Early Medieval Warband than a Retinue, raised with some care so I decided to paint the mini's in very muted tones with only the odd bright colour. I also added a conjectural livery to one gambeson and the bucklers and shields. As far as I'm aware there is no evidence at all of armies from the Isles wearing liveries (though of course that does not mean that it was not so). If anyone has any evidence pointing to the lords of the Isles using liveries and/or bagdes I'd be very interested to hear about it.

Here's the pics- enjoy and try ignore the satin look- I'm really going to have to sort the lighting out!!





































2 comments:

  1. Beautifully painted models. I have to admit though how Scottish troops ran around without shoes on up there is beyond me. I need 5 layers just to leave the house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL I know what you mean! Social poverty is probably the answer, though it has to be said, I've seen girls out on the town in Newcastle in the dead of Winter clad in much less then this! LOL

      Delete

Please Feel Free to Leave a Comment