Sunday 25 April 2021

Second Early Byzantine Torsion Engine Added

I keep wanting to call the Torsion Engines Bolt Thowers, which they might well described as, but the image conjured up in my mind is that of my 1980's Citadel Orc and Goblin army which it does not sit well with my idea of an Early Byzantine force! 😅

As you can see the second in a series of four Torsion Engines is now complete. I am not suite sure what is is but out of all the Early Byzantine units I have painted up so far I think I have have enjoyed painting the Torsion Engines and the command bases the most. Certainly being able to play around with the composition and interaction of the miniatures has been a big part. I suspect that getting a unit table ready at speed, four miniatures per unit as opposed to 24, makes the four miniatures a strong candidate for such indulgent pleasure. I have a particular penchant for vignette style basing that dates back to when the Perry's released their metal Agincourt to Orleans range in metal, long before the plastics were available. 

All the images are "clickable" and the files are large, very large in some cases vis a vis it is a case of warts and all. I am pleased to say that I managed to avoid the varnishing annoyance in the unit painted prior to this one.









The Torsion Engines together in a battery; two thus far but four planned for the whole army. Who knows, it may be even more by the time I am finished!! I have painted the Engineers in the colours of the two Unarmoured Legions tunics painted thus far, off white/red and green/yellow respectively. I now have plans for four Unarmoured Legions and the next two bases of war machines will reflect the uniforms as they do in the picture below.


Lastly, just a quick picture (and a very large file!) to show how the uniforms of the Legion reflect that of the Engineers on the base.

6 comments:

  1. Very, very cool! Love the look of this period.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dean. The whole look of the period is along with the history one of the biggest attractions for me. I just love the the whole damn thing! As for enemies, there are many, more then most realise in just the "Justinian" era.

      Delete
  2. Lovely paint job, is it black undercoat with lighter layers?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, primed black then a black undercoat. Then layered up.

      Delete

Please Feel Free to Leave a Comment