Saturday 21 August 2021

Hundred Years War English Longbowmen and Late Medieval Plans


These pictures were taken a few years ago but so far have yet to see the light of day. Since then the same miniatures have been partially re-based for Swordpoint and are awaiting the Swordpoint HYW supplement which I have on good authority will have some extra rules to render the HYW armies more playable withy the right period feel. That is all I can say on the subject without breaking the confidence of the person who passed on the news to me.

As I have so many Mainly Perry Miniatures (1415-1430)  already painted, based for Hail Caesar on 50mm x 50mm bases (Swordpoint demands 40mm x 40mm) I am in the process of slowly rebasing the whole army and will be adding to the numbers as I plod along. I will of course post pictures of each unit as I go. There is not much point in doing so at present as the miniatures have just been glued to the bases and are in need of some filler/spackle and sand etc. Not to mention paint and grass tufts. I'm sure we have all been there :>)

The pictures should give you some idea of the sort of basing, albeit three miniatures per base for Swordpoint with the archers instead of more seen below.

As usual, all the images are clickable with the exception of the last five which are small files.








The last four images were taken by David Imrie at the SESWC club in the same year that the Perry's produced their first HYWE miniatures in metal. so quite some time ago. That might explain why I have such small files- I probably published them on what was at the time a full website leaving the size of the files fixed.

Still, I think they are worth adding as they are an early illustration of my penchant for vignette style basing.









So, what of the future for my Late Medieval collection and in what direction? For some time now I have been very taken with the superb sculpts from both Clamore Castings and Antediluvian Miniatures. All my HYW armies are of the Late HYW variety and I have long wanted to go back in time and put together something from the early stages of the war. After what must be many years of procrastination I have finally decided to step back in time to before the opening of hostilities of the HYW and to the time that the Warbow was to first prove it's immense potential on the battlefield; to the time of The Battle of Dupplin Moor and the year 1332. Although there is a short time gap between 1332 and the opening of hostilities in the HYW at the Battle of Sluys 1340 by mixing and matching miniatures from Claymore Castings and Antediluvian Miniatures I should be able to build very accurate armies for both sides. 

I will be using the Claymore Rules when they are published after having had a few chats on the net with one or two people involved in the playtesting; they really sound as though they are going to do the trick! No mean feat as I have spent about 30 years looking for a good set of rules for the Hundred Years War. 

6 comments:

  1. They look superb, and remind me to revive my own long stalled HYW project, also started by those Perry metals!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gonsalvo. I much prefer the metals to the plastics, not simply because of their weight; I think some of the dynamism the Perry's are so famous for is lost with the plastics. Don't get me wrong, they are still excellent - just not as good as the metals IMHO.

      Delete
  2. Bags of character in those figures..and an outstanding bit of paintwork too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jim Jackman. They really are very dynamic miniatures. Full of life.

      Delete
  3. Gadzoocks! All awesome. Love the vignette basing - especially the stake bases 👍

    ReplyDelete

Please Feel Free to Leave a Comment