Monday 3 June 2024

WIP Miniatures 28mm Saxon Ceorl and Greek Hoplites Miniature Review




It's been a week or so since the samples of the Saxon Ceorls and Greek Hoplites from WIP Miniatures popped through my door so it's about time I got around to writing that review I promised. Having expected the miniatures to be a little smaller (thinking back to Dave's The Miniature Company sculpts) I was pleasantly surprised. I've been eyeing the miniatures up on their website for a good while now. It's never easy to tell what sort of miniature you're getting until you have it in hand so reviews like this are important.

So, the first thing I noticed was the very clean casting. There are tiny mould lines like one would expect, but they are very easily files or scraped away with a craft knife. As I say, these mould lines are diminutive. One thing that surprised me was that the metal was quite shiny, usually a warning sign that the mould has not been filled by all the metal but that is most definitely not the case with WIP Miniatures. 

Ceorls
These two little fellows are in the classical upright position holding their respective spears and shields. A classic pose for 28mm in the period (see Artizan Designs, Gripping Beast and Crusader Miniatures etc). If I had to choose a sculptor, to give you some idea of the sculpting style, I would probably go for Mark Simms from Crusader Miniatures; but it is important to bear in mind that every sculptor has his own style and I use Mark's name as a guide, this is not counting! 

When I get time, I'll get these chaps painted up and post pictures for you. 





Greek Hoplites:
The Greeks appear to have a slightly different sculpting style than that of the Saxon Ceorls, though this could just be that they are dressed and equipped very differently. Again, the castings are excellent and I would recommend these miniatures to one and all. I noticed that one the WiP Games and Miniatures website that they offer Unit Builders where one can buy an assortment of 30 miniatures to help build up those Phalanxes. 

The Greek miniatures come in a range of poses, some attacking, some standing and some moving forward. There is also an array of extras available which include Aspis shields, some from City States and some blank. Well worth a look if you want to save on transfer or freehand painting time.

Again, when I get time, I'll get these chaps painted up and post pictures for you. 





Highly recommended!

4 comments:

  1. I do like the look of those hoplites, nicely proportioned and clean (limited cast on details and impedimenta) which will make them easier to paint.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're not the most detailed miniatures you might buy but they are good quality and are very much in the sculptor's own style.

      Delete
  2. Thank you, Scale?

    ReplyDelete

Please Feel Free to Leave a Comment