Monday 15 March 2021

Unarmoured Skutatoi Unit Two- Experiments with Different Colour Schemes

Just a quick post to keep things up to speed. I have been experimenting with different colour schemes for the tunics for the different Unarmoured Skutatoi Units that will be standing as the main battle line in the army along with their Armoured Comrades (in Shieldwall). I have avoided the temptation to go for purely complimentary colours as they often create a hard contrast which, given the surface area of the miniature that will be covered by my chosen hues of "Green" and "Yellow" would tend towards the dynamic between the colours being too strong. I have also shifted the hue of the green slightly.

I am happy with the way in which the colour schemes have worked out on this the second unit of Unarmoured Skutatoi but as always, I would be very interested in hearing what you guys think?

Please note, the models are unvarnished. so no gloss and matting down as of yet.

The first unit is still waiting, somewhat impatiently for the gloss to dry so I can finally matt the miniatures down, paint the banner and base it up so pics of that very soon.

For now though......

As usual, the images are "clickable" so you can take a close look.




8 comments:

  1. A very nice paint job, and I really like the choice of colours. That green goes very nicely with the yellow. It puts me in mind of Humbrol’s Grass Green in enamel which was always one of my favourite greens. (Nice to hear I’m not the only one who glosses and then matts finished figures 👍)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I'm pretty sure I have used Humbrol's Grass Green Enamel when Iwas younger.... assuming it was gloss? All my early Hinchliffe Nappy's got the same (very gloss) treatment lol

      Delete
  2. Those are rather nice. Colours work well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Andy. I have another batch of eight on the painting table at present. another eight to follow will complete the unit. :)

      Delete
  3. These guys look great and I kind of prefer them to the others.

    Brent at Goobertown Hobbies on Youtube did an experiment using varnishes. His conclusion was that it's not really necessary these days to do the gloss and matte together. The protection offered by the matte was sufficient.

    But of course, if you spend time painting, you'll want to not take any chances with protecting the figures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I prefer the method I use for varnishing. It produces excellent results. I know that Matt varnish is more likely to chemically interact with acrylic paint than gloss. Also using an Enamel Gloss really adds amvery good protective ayer that I have yet to see with just a Matt. (a legacy of Art College). Of course, one must paint ones miniatures the way in which one chooses, so each to their own :>)

      Delete
  4. Hello,

    Superb paintjob !! I'm a fan !!!

    Nikkobourges

    ReplyDelete

Please Feel Free to Leave a Comment