Sunday 9 May 2021

Early Byzantines on Parade and Future Plans for the Army


I took the opportunity to take some snaps of my Early Byzantine Army on Parade early this morning. I must apologise about the pictures, I seem to have altered the length of exposure without realising it; perhaps I should have waited until my morning coffee had kicked in before taking these pictures!

Without further ado here are the photos..... 

Formed Infantry Units

My plans are to add another unit of Dismounted Bucellarii/Extra Heavy Infantry (who will act as another Dismounted Heavy Cavalry unit), another Armoured Skutatoi and another unit of Unarmored Skutatoi too to fill out the ranks of the infantry.


Dismounted Bucellarii/Extra Heavy Infantry and Armoured Skutatoi


Skutatoi ,Attached Torsion Engine and Command Stand

I'm in the process of painting up an extra three command bases for the three other infantry units, two for the Unarmoured Infantry units and one for the Dismounted Bucellarii/Extra Heavy infantry.



Armoured Skutatoi and command Base


The Elites; Bucellarii and Dismounted Bucellarii/Extra Heavy Infantry

There is a heck of a lot more to come in the way of cavalry. I have two more units of Lancers  on un-barded horses, I will add another two on barded horses too! Then there is the Heavily Armoured Mounted Archers (these will also double as being placed in the back ranks of the army to move it forward in time a little toward the beginnings of the "Heraclian era". Oh, I forgot their Steppe Allies too so expect a few units of Horse Archers and a unit of Steppe Nobles or two!


Dismounted Bucellarii/Extra Heavy Infantry and Armoured Skutatoi and Army General Command Stand

I recently heard from Keith of Aventine Miniatures that Adam is sculpting some Army Generals so I suppose I will have to add another one or two Army general Bases too! It would be rude not to!


Psiloi with Slings

I will be adding the missing base of Slingers as well as two units of bow armed Psiloi. Possibly some Psiloi with javelins too.

19 comments:

  1. A great looking army. Look forward to seeing the new units

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Neil, they are on the shelf primed, undercoated and ready to go as I type :)

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a wonderful collection, I hadn't realised just how much you had painted.

      Delete
    2. Cheers Jack, apprecaited mate

      Delete
  3. They look superb, fantastic work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really coming together nicely!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those are stunning looking units and the army will be spectacular! Especially like the armoured lancers. Do you have an enemy and particular campaign in mind?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wait for it..... I'm doing an army bases on Belisarius and Narses so..... goths, Franks, Sassanids etc etc. I'm putting on a display game with a mate sometime, not sure when for obvious reasons, but sooner rather then later I hope :)

      Delete
  6. I look forward to seeing your Steppes archers and the Sassainids when you get around to them. The two forces will look fantastic in the table top.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Codsticker :)

      I'm putting a stay on buying any Sassanids until I get the vast majority of the "Justinians" painted up or things will go pear shape3d very quickly in terms of organisation.

      Too many shiny toys do not make for good painting decisions lol

      Delete
  7. Fantastic work! Very impressive army!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks you form the googdly words sir!

      Delete

Please Feel Free to Leave a Comment