Monday 31 May 2021

New Target. Swordpoint Medieval Tournament Swindon, September 25th and 26th



I was in need of a new target, something to aim for, something that fits my current projects and can be serve as a binary project along with my Italian Wars stuff. The Swordpoint Medieval Tournament Swindon, September 25th and 26th seemed to be the ticket.

Tournaments are not usually my type of thing, but a quick scan of the players listed and the event organisers seem to show that there is a lot of the ye olde WAB crowd in the running. If the WAB Campaign Weekends, of which I attended many, are anything to go by it ought to be a great deal of fun.

There are other considerations though; my mental health is the main one and of course the peaks and valleys of the pandemic are another. Both of these conditions being paramount in my attendance. I have to be very careful with my health in both of these matters. A year plus of continued isolation has really taken it's toll on me. All of it negative I am afraid to say. 

I have a nicely sized Hundred Years War English army that I could quite rebase for the event but having tried several times to get what I have, ie my idea of what an English Army looked like during the 1415-1430 time period to fit the Hundred Years War English list in the Medieval supplement I have settled on quite another army. That of The Spanish in Italy, during the Italian Wars. I will (of course) be basing my Spanish on the army of Gonsalvo Fernandez de Cordoba and the Battle of Cerignola 1503. This fits nicely into my Italian Wars project and potential display game, originally penned in as Fornovo 1495; I have found my interest gradually drifting towards the Battle of Cerignola as it is just so much more of an interesting scenario then the problematic Fornovo with the river Taro crossing the entire length of the battlefield. 

So just a quick update and a nice target for me to aim for. Just under four months to complete the army which so far consists of the following, all subject to change as I decide what to leave in and what to take out:

Swordpoint - Medieval - Spanish in Italy 1250pts

1 General Command Base
5 Captain command Bases (foot ands horse?)

6 Arquebusier Bases - 18 mini's
6 Arquebusier Bases - 18 mini's
8 Pike Bases - 32 mini's
8 Pike Bases - 32 mini's
6 mounted Men at Arms -12 mini's
6 light Cav. Mounted Arquebusiers - 12 mini's
6 Papal Provisionati - 24 mini's
6 Papal Provisionati - 24 mini's
1 Organ gun - Gun and 3 crew
1 Cannon - Gun and 3 crew

It is nigh on impossible to fit what /I feel would be Gonsalvo de Cordoba's whole force present at Cerignola in a 1250p point list. I think it would take a minimum of 2500pts and quite possibly up to 3000! Maybe even more. But, this as they say, is a start.

4 comments:

  1. Looking forward to your take on el gran capitan!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL Me too Iain! I've been desperately searching for something suitable. I like The Assault Group's Duke Ercol d’Este mini, perhaps with a tweek here and there!

      Delete
  2. I very much look forward to seeing your army painted 👍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I just hope I can get it completed in time! LOL

      Either way, it will be a good foot forward for the Cerignola game.

      Delete

Please Feel Free to Leave a Comment