Saturday 17 July 2021

Justinian Byzantines Showcase (Thus Far)

Hi folks!

While I'm sitting with the onset of a sore throat (and worrying it might be Covid) I thought it might be a good idea to distract myself a little by presenting a few pictures of each unit in my Early Byzantine army thus far. I reckon I'm probably over half way so quite a long way to go yet but with the rump of the army completed. 

All the images are "clickable" and in most cases the files are quite large so you can get a good look.

Dismounted Boukellaroi/Extra Heavy Infantry:







Magister Militum command Base:







Armoured Skutatoi:







Armoured Skutatoi Command Base:





Unarmoured Skutatoi Unit 1:





Unarmoured Skutatoi Unit 1 Attached Torsion Engine:





Unarmoured Skutatoi Unit 2:










Unarmoured Skutatoi Unit 2 Attached Torsion Engine:






Psiloi:







Belisarius Boukellaroi:








So, a lot more to come but happily much of the work has been done. Another four cavalry units, one armoured Skutatoi and Unarmoures Skutatoi and two or three units of Psiloi should round them off. Oh, there's the army generals too!

18 comments:

  1. Stunning work on these early Byzantines! Get well soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your brushwork is simply amazing- Beautiful figures!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stunning paint job well done. But, why does Unarmoured Skutatoi Unit 2 have cavalry shields? Did that myself once.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah someone mentioned that. My reasoning to let it go is basically that the army of Belisarius is 130 years later than the (oft disputed) Notitia Dignitatum (approx. 400 CE) so units could have changed and been moved around the empire etc.

      Delete
  4. That's awesome stuff. Very good work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Figures are gorgeous - an fingers crossed it's just a sore throat.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great job! I love everything Eastern Roman and your army is incredible. Keep up the good work, and keep posting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Perris. It's been a really enjoyable experience and I will certainly continue. I'm working on some Steppe Nomads at the moment as allies/enemies, which may well eventually become a full army in themsleves!

      Delete
  7. Best Byzantine army ever seen ! You really inspire me to continue painting my own Justinian's army! Keep them coming.
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Jose. Very inspiring words and will certainly give me more impetus to continue on them journey.

      Delete
  8. Nice banners. I especially like the icons of Empress Theodora.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I think! LOL The Theodora icon is actually Justinian taken from the Justinian Mosaics at the church of San Vitale, Ravenna. There's a picture of the whole mosaic on the Metropolitan museum of Art's website here:
      https://www.metmuseum.org/exhibitions/listings/2012/byzantium-and-islam/blog/topical-essays/posts/san-vitale

      Delete
  9. Amazing, Bedford! Really impressive painting skills.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Andy. The project is on hold for a couple of months but I will be returning to it in the New Year. And the Sassanids to bewilder Belisarius too LOL

      Delete

Please Feel Free to Leave a Comment