Wednesday 14 July 2021

Unvarnished Steppe Nomads

 


It has been a while since I managed to find the time to post anything new. So, in the absence of any new posts and my blog beginning to feel a but forlorn; over the next few days I will be posting a small series of articles covering what I have been working on ranging from the Italian Wars and the Wars of Justinian and Narses etc. 

The latest painting has featured Aventine Miniatures Steppe Nomads (most of the range is being remoulded by Keith at Aventine). I have enjoyed painting these immensely. In an effort to save time and instead of the basecoat, drybrush then a few washes that I have resorted to use on some horse flesh of late, I have jumped back into "Early Byzantine" mode and spent a decent amount of time on painting different types of coats. I realise that most of the ponies 5-6th Century Steppe Nomads would have had access too would not have had such a variation of colour and patterns on their mounts but I simply could not resists. There is always room for artistic license right? The castings, although a little fiddly to put together (I know Keith is fixing this, thus the remoulding) are sublime and easily the best Steppe Cavalry I have ever painted up. They really were a joy.

All the images are pre varnish so will have some variation in the flatness of the paint. This is a result using paints from different manufacturers such as Vallejo - usually quite flat, Andrea - always consistently flat, Foundry - not nearly as reliably flat. 

Best get to the pics, which as usual are "clickable".






10 comments:

  1. Those look fantastic. I'll look forward to seeing them on the table!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! Though sadly I know not when :>(

      Delete
  2. Excellent work! I’ve got these nomads riders too. But haven’t painted them yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were a dream to paint up. Less so to put together as there are a lot of parts but in the end- absolutely worth it! Easily *the* best Stepp Cavalry I have ever painted up.

      Delete
  3. Gorgeous Steppe Nomads, congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They are no available on their website anymore. Do you know why?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, they are due to be remoulded so there are less pieces per casting.

      Just keep one eye open, I don't think we will have that long to wait now.

      Delete

Please Feel Free to Leave a Comment