Friday 21 February 2020

Battle of Shrewsbury 1069: Norman Outer Wall II

The tension mounts as yet another terrain piece is finished and ready to be put into the field! This time it is yet another part of what will represent the Motte and Bailey outer wall at the Battle of Shrewsbury 1069.

Again, the large part of the painting was  done with hobby paints from a craft store as they are decent enough if you give the terrain a gloss then matt varnish is stops the paint from shipping about 99% of the time. From the dark craft paint, which I described last time as like Vallejo model Colour German Black Grey, when I meant to say German Cammo Black Brown! If you're painting up resin terrain pieces for the first time (you might be; there's a first time for everything) then please don't waste your money and paint on using paints that you would use on your miniatures unless you cannot get the paint you want and you really have to. I say this with the caveat that I often finish the highlights and details with Vallejo model Colours. The browns were painted and dry brushed up using various light creams and light greys to hopefully achieve the effect of weathered wood and a grey-ish soil. I don't use white to highlight as this is too stark to add to a mix. I have put some static grass on the models and I will be adding some grass tufts but that will have to wait as I'm saving all that I now possess for the bases of the miniatures.





Yet again, I got a little carried away with adding the fine details. The crossbow, quiver and shield could easily have been dry brushed a brown with a little colour added to the shield perhaps but I think that it's the details on a wargames table that make all the difference. Or at least I am trying to convince myself that this is so!


I'm currently working on a corner piece for Shrewsburys walls and I have a few buildings that I bought and one that I scratch built a while back that a mate cast in resin for me. I still have the original which is nice!



4 comments:

  1. Superb and inspiring, have to make a try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phil. I had the whole thing laid out on my studio floor yesterday! Wow! A long way to go!!

      Delete
  2. What a splendid piece and a great result too.

    ReplyDelete

Please Feel Free to Leave a Comment