Friday 17 July 2020

Close ups of my Wargames Soldiers and Strategy Cover

These photo's of the cover I did for Wargames, Soldiers and Strategy a few years ago have recently come to light. The theme of the magazine that particular month was the Roman Invasion of Britain. I remember racking by brains for an original idea, something I found difficult to do especially with Early Imperial Romans as they ar an army in which just about every diorama or vignette had already been done. Warlord Games were kind enough to send me some of their Marius Mules packs and that's when it hit me. Instead of going for the belligerence normally associated with Imperial Romans I would try to interject some humour into the vignette. I hope one some level I manged to achieve this?






Close Ups:








5 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks mate. It was a lot of fun to come up with the composition and paint up. I don't think it was quite what Guy the editor of Wargames, Soldiers and Strategy was expecting :>)

      Delete
    2. I assume you have exceeded his expectations. Haven’t you? :)

      Delete
    3. LOL I'm not entirely certain of what Guy's reaction was. He's a very nice chap (I nearly typed guy lol) but I don't think he expected old woman and kids chucking stones at some of Marius' Mules as the trundled along. Guy was happy enough to put it on the front cover so I reckon all was well :)

      Delete

Please Feel Free to Leave a Comment