Tuesday 21 July 2020

More Beja

This morning I manged to get these Beja matted down nicely, or so I thought..... There' some speckling which has me a little baffled as I have never experienced this with Windsor and Newton Professional Matt Varnish. There was very low humidity and I followed  my usual routine of putting a warm desk lamp on ten minutes prior to varnishing and leaving them to dry a little under the lamp for an hour or so.  I'm going to have to go over the speckles with a bit of gloss varnish. It's all a bit of a mystery but ,like I said,  I think I know how to resolve the situation.

If the results improve I will replace the offending photo with a hopefully resolved image of the models. 

EDIT: I managed to fix the speckling issue with the varnishing by simply giving them another coat of Windsor and Newton Professional Matt Varnish. I will be basing the miniatures up today so after applying filler (spackling to my friends in the USA), allowing for it to go off and then applying some sand etc I think the finished miniatures should be photo ready by tomorrow if not then the day after.

Command Stand:









4 comments:

  1. I am in the midst of my first Beja (riflemen). I have been a fan of Testors Dullcote for many years … flatter than a very flat thing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to use the original Testors Dullcote for years. Then that particular 'recipe' became illegal in the EU due to it containing a strong carcinogen so I switched to HMG which is *very* flat- better then the original Testors but more volatile in unfavourable atmospheric conditions. I then reverted back to my Art School days and started using W&N which is the flattest matt of them all IMHO. I've never had any problems with it in a decade until yesterday. It's possible I just got a bad batch or the valve was faulty.

      Good luck with the Beja riflemen. Have you got a blog and if so do you have a link? I might already be a member but since Blogger stopped the automatic notifications it's a bit hit or miss.

      Delete
  2. Nice work Darrell. I find the W&N Matt varnish too shiny and will stick with Testors while ever I can source it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are you using the W&N Professional Matt Spray Paul? I've never had anything but very flat matt results with it. It's about as perfect a matt varnish can be for me. It's a case of horses for courses I suppose :)

      Delete

Please Feel Free to Leave a Comment