Wednesday 9 June 2021

French Mounted Crossbowmen


I think I overdid the speed painting malarkey this time and I am not really very satisfied with the end results. I was trying to see just how fast I could get these mini's painted up; the layered paint being applied after a very rough wash with very rough highlights to follow. All of which I ended up having mix up a medium hue to blend in the awful contrast that resulted.

I also made the school boy error of hurrying the matt varnish after the gloss which has resulted in some spectacular "speckling" on the miniatures, all of which which just rubbed salt into the self inflicted wound! I will not be repeating the superfast speed paint job again! Medium pace it is from now on unless I'm working on something I intend to take my time with.

Still, they are fine for the table top so will remain in my collection rather then being cast into eBay oblivion.









If you take a look at the pics of the single bases you will see the "speckling" in all of it's ghastliness. So, I repeat my varnishing mantra again, "wait a week between the gloss and the matt coats you silly sod!" All a bit of a terrible shame really as there were some nice conversions and kit bashed models in the unit. I came very close to not bother including the pictures of the single bases, but, in the interests of being transparent (bad pun).........


















15 comments:

  1. They look great. Love the red tunics.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your “bad super fast speed painting” is very good indeed. The speckling is barely noticeable, and is not going to be seen from tabletop distance anyaway. These are beautiful models!

    I wouldn’t get bothered, but, If the small specks really ruin your day, I’m sure that you can find on the net some suggestions about how to remove them!
    Like here, for instance : https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/27393-matt-varnish-removal/

    Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ratmaul.

      The problem with the speckling is that is is avoidable. I'm quite annoyed with myself as if I had waited a few more days it would not have occurred.

      Delete
    2. Ratmual. TBH, the whole u it was painted within two days and really isn't worth revisiting. I'm just going to have to live with them LOL

      Delete
  3. They doo look good Darryl.
    What gloss are you using? I use Halfords Lacquer and only leave it a day or so before matting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always Humbroll brush Gloss on Paul. It's the hardest and most protective finish I have come across. It's my own fault for being too impatient really LOL.

      Delete
  4. Those look very nice. Shame about the varnish mishap (not that I could see what you were taking about in those photos).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Tamsin. I might have been tempted to keep the jpg's quite small lol

      Delete
  5. Lovely looking mounted crossbow men, I like the pair having a conversation!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain, "Who the hell varnished us?" is probably his question LOL

      Delete
  6. I would be proud of figures painted like that...

    ReplyDelete
  7. If you're really not happy with them, I'm happy to take them off your hands...

    (Ach no, not really, they would stand out like the dogs dangly bits, and make all my stuff look like the dog had vomited a paint job onto the bare lead..)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The days of me selling my collection off are happily long gone lol

      Delete

Please Feel Free to Leave a Comment