Wednesday 23 June 2021

Goths!

 


I've been trying to do my bit/keep up with my mate a little of late for the game we have pencilled in for a show, whenever they might be (2022?), with these quite lovely Footsore Miniatures Goths. Technically, the Footsore Goths are of an earlier era than that of the Battle of Taginae (552 CE) but they are the nearest I am going to get so will do the job nicely. They are more suitable for Adrianople (378 CE) than that of Taginae (552 CE) but hey, I cannot have it all when it comes to miniatures. We are quite spoiled as it is. 

I have heard rumours that another wargames company will be producing some Goths for the Early Byzantine era which will of course be mixed the Footsore Goths and Early Saxons that I am using for the bulk of the army. I cannot say any more on the subject as it would be breaking the confidence of the chap who let me know. If Late Goths are what you are looking for, be happy that they are, more than likely, on the way at some stage soon-ish.

These are the first test miniatures for the Goth force, no varnish applied as of yet and with transfers from LBMS Transfers. I had a bit of trouble earlier in the paint job by trying to use some of the Foundry WWII set to speed things up a little. In the end it slowed the job considerably as every pot, not matter how man ball bearings and shaking were applied, resulted in very poor coverage. They are so inconsistent and poor in pigment that they are utterly worthless as miniature paints! It is all a bit annoying really as I have a lot of Foundry's early paint sets and they are still great paints and good to use to this day. If only they had kept to the same paint supplier (if that is indeed the case?).













8 comments:

  1. I'd hazard a guess as to who might be producing a range of Goths.... :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. .....and you would almost certainly be correct Simon LOL

      Delete
  2. Splendid work and fine figures. I’ve just started using the Foundry triad paints and have mixed feelings about them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In all honesty I wouldn't trust the triads anymore. I think forgot to mention in the post I had bought a few replacements for some of the old pots that and they were *very* wishy washy when compared to the original paints. I could be wrong but I would suggest the fact that Kev Dallimore no longer uses them and now used Army Painter paints speaks volumes(?).

      Delete
  3. Those Goths look lovely 👍. I tried some Foundry paints a couple of years ago and have been massively disappointed. Not sure any manufacturer has the perfect range, but enjoying some Citadel paint from GW and of course Vallejo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks FoGH :)

      The WWII Foundry paints are going in the bin unless someone at the club, whenever that will be, wants them. I'll hang onto the older sets as they have good coverage but honestly, that /WWII set is unusable.

      Delete

Please Feel Free to Leave a Comment