Tuesday 18 October 2022

Anglo Danish Huscarls/Fyrd Unit Five

Continuing with the painting momentum created with the completion of the Italian Mounted Arquebusiers unit a few days ago, and after a week of waiting for the gloss coat to to fully cure before matting down, I have completed yet another unit, this time for my Anglo Danes army, which now, excluding command bases, Shieldwall markers casualty and contains 120 miniatures. With another unit of Huscarls/Fyrd, a unit of Viking Mercenaries and two skirmishing units to complete the end finally seems in sight.

The Anglo Danish army of the 11th Century, arguably the best infantry in Europe at the time has always fascinated me. How could such a steadfast an object as Harold Godwinson's royal army lose at the Battle of Hastings? It is a mystery. Were they doomed from the start following on from Harold's forced march from  being exhausted after the fight at Stamford Bridge? Then to march down the spine of the country to face William? Or, was Harold too eager for battle and neglected to rest his army and more importantly, build it up into a larger force, which he had time enough to do? Or, maybe it was pride or dishonour as William ravaged his Harold's personal landholdings, that forced Harold into a hasty battle?

We will almost certainly never know, but to speculate is the way of the wargamer.

So, onto the completed brushwork. Again I have mixed things up with the choice of miniatures with Footsore (Matthew Bickley), Footsore (Bill Thornhill), Saxon Miniatures, out of production Gripping Beast, (later) Griping Beast and Wargames Foundry (Matthew Bickley)!














14 comments:

  1. Fantastic stuff. I have a bunch of Dark Ages/Early Medieval minis primed and in the queue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks mate. I've really enjoyed painting this lot up. I think the key was to include as much of a variety of different models from different manufacturers as possible.

      Delete
    2. I do like that approach; I have started to do that with my ECW.

      Delete
    3. It's well worth just sitting and playing with the miniatures on the bases either before you paint or after. I borrowed the idea from David Imrie when he was painting a Late Roman army.

      Delete
  2. Another cracker, and these guys are going to be much harder to shift in a wargame, especially with that uphill bonus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately they haven't seen a dice rolled in anger as things stand now Rob. I've got a while Norse army to paint up too, though I'm trying not to focus on that thought LOL

      Delete
  3. Hello,
    Juste superb !!!
    Nikkobourges

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, very nice, I have spent some time looking ‘into’ that unit and hitting on some of your painting techniques, which I hope to bring into my next unit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Norm. I just tend to paint in layers, three sometimes four. Keep it simple for large units in large armies, though I do tend to go into more detail, more layers etc on skirmish forces.

      Delete
  5. really outstanding work Darrell. I love this unit!

    ReplyDelete

Please Feel Free to Leave a Comment