Friday 14 October 2022

Italian Mounted Arquebusiers

After quite some time away from the painting desk due to illness I am very happy to say that I am back! It was very hard to make a start for a couple of months but I pushed, stalled, pushed again and I'm now back into a decent rhythm with my painting. From zero to three projects resurrected; The Italian Wars, Early Byzantines and Anglo Danes are back on the menu. These will be punctuated by some of the beautiful castings for the Seven Years War from Claymore Castings which is promising to be a very special and extensive range. I've always been slightly put off with the Seven Years War as most of the miniatures on the market were very stiff and in advancing poses only. People who are regulars to my blog will know that I much prefer to see dynamic and varied poses in my armies and the Nick Collier Claymore sculpts tick that box and then some.

OK, so here's the first three bases of what will eventually be six bases of Italian Mounted Arquebusiers. They were actually completed quite some time ago, left painted but unvarnished in a cupboard! It wasn't until recently that I have felt like I have had the energy to finish them off. For varnishing I followed my usual method of a solid coat of Humbrol brush on Enamel Gloss followed a week later by Winsor and Newton Professional Matt varnish.

With no0t being into my normal rhythm, I forgot to superglue the magnetic sheets to the bases so there has been a little warpage, but so be it, I'm just happy that I have completed half of this unit.

I hope you like them. 















I'll take some close up pictures of the individual bases ASAP and post them up.

14 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear you've been unwell but good that you're getting better. You've clearly not lost your touch during the enforced break as they are gorgeous - and might even hit something as they're not firing from cantering horses like so many table-top mounted arquebusiers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rob. It's great to be back. The Mounted Arquebusiers' were completed just before my slump but my brushwork is slowly getting back to par.

      Delete
  2. You are back with a bang! Beautiful painting and basing as we expect from you.😊

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aha, I wondered where you had got to. Glad you're feeling chipper again They look grand altogether. I really like how you have spaced the figures. Well trained skirmishers knew only half fired at a time just as you have posed them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks uiduach OB. I like my miniatures to interact on their bases if at all possible so those are indeed kind words.

      Delete
  4. Hello,
    Excellent paintjob !!! I like the bases too !!!
    Nikkobourges

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful to see new work from you. These are superb.
    Richard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Richard. I'm very happy to be back. I think the break helped refresh things a little as I'm find myself more enthused.

      Delete
  6. Lovely unit as usual Darrell, I'm looking forward to seeing more of your Italian Wars stuff

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks matey. I've got another six ready to go but I'm finding it hard to pull myself away from a unit of Anglo Danes which are very near completion and a few Early Byzantine Command bases! I'm desperately trying to stick to my "Rule of three's" but there seems to be a Carthaginian project taking some kind of shape in m y mind too! LOL

      Delete

Please Feel Free to Leave a Comment