Saturday 19 September 2015

Steve Dean Forum Swap AWI Mini Finally Photographed!

Hi,

It's been a while since I revived The Steve Dean Forum Swap Mini Painting trade off originally started by another member of the forum. It's taken a while to get these pics taken as I Gloss varnished everything except the flag and then Matted down using Windsor and Newton Professional Spray (that had never failed me) only to come back to the mini the next day and find a lot of Frosting in the colours! I glossed the banner again and was not pleased when I got the same result again! I just couldn't figure out what was making this happen as it wasn't happening on any other miniatures!!??

I eventually got the mini sorted out by leaving another layer of gloss on for a week before I applied the Matt spray. This time it worked. I can only guess at the causes but I'm thinking that as I left the colours unvarnished before matting them down that the Matt varnish that I applied has somehow made the colour more porous and it took a few coats of gloss  to sort it out. That or some chemical reaction unknown to me had taken place(???).

Anyway, the up side is that the mini was finished a few weeks ago- I was meant to deliver it to a friend at Partizan who doesn't live too far away from Iain (Flags of War) but of course I forgot! This was after my aborted attempt to deliver the mini to Iain at Claymore! In the end I was unable to attend.

I'm pleased to say that I can announce that the mini is nice and snugly packed and awaiting transit! So, Iain, if you're reading this, the mini will be on it's way to you this weekend :>)

Iain posted some pics of the mini I sent him on the SDF Painting Swap Thread which elucidated his beautiful painting style nicely so much so that it would be rude not to include a couple of pics here:

Iain's Beautiful Templar (Mine !All mine!!):



My Efforts at Iain's AWI Ensign:






Hope you enjoy the pics of both miniatures.

Bye for now.

10 comments:

  1. They are both superb! Fantastic work guys!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, on behalf of both of us! :>)

      Darrell.

      Delete
  2. Two excellent looking figures Darrell.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice brushwork, and the folds of the flag are very nice too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually Dean the flag came as is.... all I did was to paint up the mini and the pole of the colours :>)

      Lovely high quality stuff from Flags of War.

      Darrell.

      Delete
  4. Both of them are splendid...congrats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thnaks.... hopefully have more light to work with next time when I'm out of my rathole of a painting space :>)

      Delete

Please Feel Free to Leave a Comment