Saturday 5 September 2015

Quick Border Reiver Show Run Through

Hi,

Just a very quick run through of the Border Reiver show yesterday at Gateshead National Stadium. I've been a couple of times now at the new venue and it's not a bad one at that. If I had one criticism it would be  the over head lighting,which in general illuminates the show well, but it of a very yellow mature making photography quite difficult. In the end I abandoned the white balance and just put the camera on auto- I actually and somewhat surprisingly didn't have all that much time to take many pics so apologies to those who's games were missed out. I spent most of the show chatting to various people, some from my old SESWC club (organisers of Claymore one of Scotland's premier shows) and folks such as Big Andy from Old Glory UK who kindly gave me some of Drabant Miniatures Saxon Shieldwall which will of course be taking it's place in my Hastings Demo game at Salute next year. The conversation with Andy was interesting in that we both share the passion that wargaming should reflect real history and that a rules set should do the same. It was great to see all the members of my local club Durham Wargames Group who were well represented in large numbers attending the show. Good to see that we support other local shows to the max.It was also great to see Paul at the show and apologies to him for me not being able to find the time to have a proper chat.

As I type I'm getting ready for my lift to Partizan so I'm going to have to sign off and leave you with the pics of the show. I'll have a full round up of the games at Partizan tomorrow or if I'm too knackered as is likely, the next day.























Bye for now

20 comments:

  1. Shame about the lighting, otherwise a great looking show!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, it's one of those things really- it's very difficult to find the perfect venue I suppose. My problem was only with my photography and if I'm honest it's a technical rung on the ladder for me to climb as opposed to a problem with the venue which apart from the lighting was good. It had clean loos and a nice little cafe that wasn't too expensive.

      Delete
  2. Thank for the report and pics. As Rodger said, deffo need a venue with more natural lighting.
    Cheers
    Matt

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome Matt- Partizan reps up and coming.

      Darrell.

      Delete
  3. sorry i missed you, have fun at Partican

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I missed quite a few folk, I'm not sure how but it tends to happen- sometimes I can't see the wood for the trees LOL :>)

      Delete
  4. Awful lighting but thanks for the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nicely done, except the lighting, but great looking games!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The quality of the games varied but in general they were good. Three faves were the Helmand game, the ACW game and the russo Japanese affair at sea.

      Delete
  6. Yeah, that lighting is a killer!, Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to get to grips with my camera a bit more- it's got an unusual light balance setting in that you can only use it in certain 'modes' and that doesn't include the Macro! :>(

      Delete
  7. Looks like there were some great games on show.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michael, there were. I'll be back next year

      Delete
  8. Thanks for sharing the pics! Lots of great games.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good to see you on the day Daryll.

    I've take the liberty of adding a link to your report on my show report.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great to see all my chums from SESWC- I really do miss the place- well, Edinburgh in general actually. Maybe i should hike back up LOL :>)

      No probs about the link Jim :>)

      Darrell.

      Delete
  10. Bog !! Andy here. Nice to chat at the show. On the lighting front whilst I agree in priciple that we would all like venues with lots of "natural light" - finding such venues is almost impossible- and if you do they want really silly money for a days hire- multiple thousands and I speak from experience here.
    Border Reiver has had 3 venues over the years the current one best combines price and availabilityand access

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You too Andy. i agree on the lighting front- we were both at The Other Partizan and I Border Reiver has better lighting than Kelham that's for sure.

      Roll on the new venue for Partizan! :>)

      Some very nice Drabant mini's they are too. They will be taking pride of place among the Anglo Danes at Salute!

      Darrell.

      Delete

Please Feel Free to Leave a Comment